Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm waiting...

I'm waiting for the day when I can go a whole shift without feeling like I'm being talked "down to" by a guest.
I'm waiting for an all 20% tip night.
I'm waiting for people to acknowledge how difficult they can be.
I'm waiting for everyone to realize I only make $2.13/hour, so your tips are extremely important to me.
I'm waiting for people to realize what I like may not be what you like. So just order what you want.
I'm waiting for people to tip according to how long they "camp" at my table.


I'm sure there are 100 more things I'm still waiting for that will probably never happen and I might keep adding them as I think of them.  I plan on filling you in on my back story to explain why, at 37, I'm still waiting tables but for now I have to rant about an incident that happened last night.

Let me start by saying the restaurant I work at is one of the nicest for my smaller city.  Although my city is big for Kansas, it is relatively small to the rest of the world.  Our guests are of all sorts.  Rich, average, snotty, nice, demanding, pleasant, high maintenance, and easy going. This particular story is about one of the high maintenance, snotty, rich ones who we have all come to know and hate.

I was waiting on a party of 9 men. Good ole country boys.  Not cowboy hat country, but good men! One guy in particular was wearing a baseball cap. NOT a big deal.  We are a casual restaurant. Hats are okay. This woman was sitting in a booth facing my table of 9. Next thing I know shes saying something to my table. I immediately head over to my table as shes leaving, and politely ask if they know her. I could tell by the shocked looks on their faces that they did not. I take a deep breath and ask if they can tell me what she said. A few men were chuckling, some were still in shock, and one finally told me my answer. She said to the man in the cap, "it would be really nice if you could eat without your hat on" and she didn't say it nicely! How freaking rude can you be!!!  Then she returned to my table to say, "I'm not really a bitch, its just etiquette". Is this broad for real??  Keep in mind, her husband was wearing sunglasses at the time.  What gives this crazy woman the right to tell someone else they should take off their hat when eating. They weren't eating at HER house!  It really doesn't matter how you feel about the situation.  She was in the wrong!  Some people will say that it's rude to have your hat on in a restaurant (which i disagree) but she was much ruder in her attempt to get him to take it off. Luckily this table of good ole country boys was able to laugh it off and not get too insulted. Although i have to say I was livid! I'd like to know why this woman is still allowed to eat at our restaurant.

Okay. I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment